Thursday, July 16, 2015

Our Twin Journey

As I type the word twin I still don't think I have fully grasped the idea of giving birth to twins in 4 days.   I have known that I was carrying twins since I was six weeks pregnant.  I went in for my scheduled ultrasound, by myself, not expecting any surprises, and found out we were having fraternal twins.  I giggled like a crazy lady.  I just kept giggling.  My mom was at home with Hadley and Jackson, and I knew I wouldn't be able to hide the news from her.  So that meant I had to call Travis at work and tell him over the phone.  He was speechless.  I giggled.  He was speechless.  I had wanted one more baby and he was content with our family of four.  Neither of us got exactly what we had bargained for.  I have been so impressed with how Travis has transitioned into the idea of being a family of six.  He always joked with my brother-in-law about his big family of six and now he would be having one too.  We have heard more unwanted opinions than we have cared for, but have taken them lightly and in stride.  We get to laugh about how people tell us Travis will never retire, etc.

This would be my third pregnancy.  I never did a single sit up after having Hadley.  My stomach popped quickly and I was getting comments from total strangers about my size.  I never realized how many people ask when you are due.  When I would answer strangers would just stare at me.  By December with four months to go I looked as if I were due anytime.  We moved into our new home December 11th and I was responsible for nothing!  It was my one duty to make sure I didn't have babies.  My biggest fear from the first knowledge of having twins was that I would have premature babies.  Twins frequently come early and spend time in the NICU.  I have carried two babies to term, but my body loves to threaten premature labor.  I just assumed with twins I would actually have premature labor, be hospitalized, and ultimately be away from my family for too long.  I sit here typing at 37 weeks and three days!  The babies are happy right where they are and despite the doctor saying I would not make it to my 38 week c-section date, it appears that I will.

I have been no stranger to discomfort and pain, which I have not had during my other pregnancies.  The last few weeks have been nothing short of torture.  I can do very little without experiencing pain.  Getting up from the floor is a task that makes me want to cry.  I made it to 36 weeks and my doctor complemented me giving me all the credit for carrying my twins to term.  I really can't take credit for carrying them to term.  I have tried to take it easy and I rest almost everyday, but ultimately I give God the credit.  I have given this so much thought.  I feel like the pain that I have endured was what has slowed me down.  I am currently seeing the pain as a way the Lord slowed me down.  I had to realize I had to embrace it for what it was and listen to my body.  It is so hard for me not to do everything that my kids ask for, to serve my family dinner every night and have my house be put together and spotless. He is probably preparing me for what is to come with two newborns in the house.

We found out at 21 weeks that we would be having two girls.  Travis was able to make that appointment with me.  Baby A is very close to my cervix and was hard to determine gender.  She is also tucked in behind her sister.  We knew quickly that Baby B was a girl and for Jackson's sake held out impatiently wanting to know that there was a boy.  He wanted a brother so bad.  He wanted a brother so bad that when we told him he was having two more sisters, he cried.  I felt so bad for him.  He quickly accepted his new sisters, especially when they started to dance around in my tummy.  He loves to feel them move.  He doesn't want to share my belly when somebody else wants to feel the girls move.  I told him he could talk to the girls and he tells them that he is big brother Jackson, and then he feels silly and just laughs.  Hadley on the other hand hasn't a clue!  She will tell you there are babies in my belly and that there are two.  Two is her favorite number, since she is two!  Jackson is also very ready for the girls to arrive.  He wants to hold them.  He wants to carry them.  He is going to be the best big brother.  I feel like he has already given so sacrificially.  He allows me to rest most days while he either rests on the couch with me or plays quietly.  I have been so impressed with his independence and growth during this challenging time for me.

I started having two stress tests a week at 31 weeks gestation.  Shortly after that I moved to weekly appointments with my OB.  This meant three appointments a week.  I continued to see the specialists every four weeks after our 21 week ultrasound.  I see and go to the doctor all the time.  Hadley often goes with me.  She has been a champ!  She sits in her stroller while I am strapped to monitors and can't move.  She has loved doing stickers, coloring, watching the occasional Minnie Mouse Bowtique, or eating donut holes when we have time to stop and get them.  She has learned a few new words like, "doctees offis" and " belly check".  She likes to play "docto" at home and check my belly.  We also have to check her belly.  Hadley has been able to spend more time with Mimi and Gigi so that on Tuesdays I don't have to take her to two appointments in one day.  Mimi or Gigi have also been able to help me keep her in Gymboree by taking her on the days that they help me with my appointments.  She has grown so close to her Mimi and Gigi.  She cries when they leave and she asks for them constantly.  She would see them daily if it were up to her!

(The girls are four months old today!  I had no recollection of writing this and was reviewing my blog and next entry when I stumbled across this one.  The girls were born the next day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment