Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jackson's First Nature Walk

The weather has been beautiful these last few days. No dreary skies, no clouds, no rain, no mist, no snow, just a warm blue sky!! I have been itching to get outside and I suppose Jackson has as well. We have been inside for way too long and I am ready for Jackson to explore the outside world.

Jackson can walk and run these days with ease. He is fairly steady on his feet but does stumble on uneven ground. Because of his desire to walk everywhere, today I choose a nature walk over a wagon or stroller ride. We simply walked through our front yard and to the neighbors, and I thought what an adventure this must be for Jackson. To me it was just a walk through the yard, but to him it had to be amazing. He steadied himself as he walked through the uneven hill covered with fallen leaves and dead grass. He found every acorn all the while brushing his hand up against the bark of the trees. He picked up one particular rock, and tried to eat it of course, then carried it around until he found a walnut shell. The outside world was his to discover, and he was thrilled. He sat in the grass and filtered dirt through his tiny little hands. Then up and away he went after something he had seen, while I dusted his pants of course. I couldn't help myself, he may be a boy, but I am still all girl. We walked up and down the curb as he practiced stepping up and down while holding Mommy's hand. Every time he heard a dog bark he would stop and say, "woof". His hearing is amazing. He doesn't miss one sound.

His fearlessness makes him seem so innocent and of course so vulnerable. He took off quickly down our sloping driveway, which turned his walk into a run. The streets posed no threat to him as he ran to the middle of them, with Mommy watching out for his safety.

Our nature walk came to an end as it neared nap time, so we threw down our rocks and told them bye bye (Jackson waved bye bye)! Rocks we will come find you again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment