Saturday, February 6, 2016

Labor

It was a normal Monday and we were headed to the park to meet up with friends.  I had warned Jackson that we may only be able to stay ten minutes because I was not likely to be able to keep up with Hadley.  I was 37 weeks and 4 days along with our twins Ella and Emma.  I was to be induced in three days on that coming Thursday.  I got everybody dressed and was looking forward to the 25 minute drive in the car where Jackson and Hadley would sit still and quietly watch a movie.  I wasn't sure about the park, but there would be friends there to help me.  It was early that morning that my friend Katie, who was coming up from Tulsa to spend the day with us, cancelled because of illness, but we were going to be with a few other friends as well.

I bent down to the floor to change Hadley's diaper when all of the sudden I felt the rubber band popping sensation in my body.  I froze waiting to see if it was my water breaking as I had suspected.  My friend Becky had told me that is what it would feel like and she was exactly right.  I might not have realized what it was the second it happened had she not explained the popping sensation.  Seconds later ( and I don't even remember if I finished changing Hadley's diaper) the gush of water flowed.  I looked at Jackson and told him to find my phone and said, "We are having our babies today!".  He didn't quite catch on, yet.  In order to not allow my children to see water gushing down my legs, plus I didn't want to clean up the floor, I crawled to the small bathroom.  Hadley crawled alongside me thinking we were playing puppy.  This was one of her favorite things to do!  Jackson quickly became flustered when he couldn't find my phone or robe that I had requested.  I called Travis, Jan and Jerry, who were going to come and get me, then Mom, then Judy, then realized I should call the doctor.  We had never discussed if I should call ahead of time and tell her, but I never thought to ask because I was convinced I was going to make it to my c-section date.  This was much more exciting!  I sent Jackson to the door to be on look out with Hadley for Jan and Jerry.  This was a task he was more than happy to do.  I glanced over as I snuck out of the bathroom in search of dry clothes, and saw him sitting on the floor with Hadley in his lap watching out the glass door.  Jan and Jerry made it to our house within 16 minutes (Jan timed it)!  This gave me enough time to pack a few last minute items and load both kids in the car!  We were buckled in and ready to go!

I was truly excited.  This was such a fun way to have a baby.  I love surprises and this was the best surprise and expectant mom of twins could get on a Monday morning!  We had a long ride to the hospital and I was having no more than my normal contractions, so I took this time to text friends, especially the ones we would no longer be meeting at the park, and update loved ones.  I also spent about 20 minutes trying to notify my doctor that I was headed to the hospital.  Being a nurse I knew that I had eaten two breakfasts that morning so there would be a long wait before they took me back for my c-section so there was no need for everybody to hurry!  I waited about four hours and only endured about an hour of very uncomfortable contractions, before heading back for delivery.  I was thrilled to get that large needle placed in my back and new I would be more comfortable instantly...and I was.  This was my third go round and I knew what to expect.  The girls were delivered shortly thereafter at 2:32 pm.  Emma first and then Ella.  Emma was quickly cleaned measured checked out and weighed and then placed on my chest to start nursing.  I couldn't even lift my head or arms, but there she was nursing!  Ella followed the same protocol but had a low blood sugar so they took Emma away and she was not happy and placed Ella to nurse....again I could not even lift my head or arms!!  Her blood sugar continued to lower until her fourth blood sugar recheck at which time they gave her a small amount of formula.  She was slow to figure out how to suck properly and was diagnosed with a disorganized tongue.  Emma knew how to nurse from the second they latched her on.  The next 48 hours were a blur of sleeplessness.  Mom stayed with me those nights.  We were both exhausted and without rest.  She slept some and I slept none. I at least had adrenalin and youth on my side.  I felt terrible for her.  She was a champ.  She had work to get back to in Tulsa, but wouldn't leave until Jan came to my rescue.  The hospital didn't offer nursery for the babies so I had the 24/7!  They took Ella once for a kidney x-ray, but other than that all care was provided at my bedside.  I was exhausted but still in awe of my twin girls!  I could feed them both, hold them both and calm them both at the same time!  I loved every second of it!  It was an amazing feeling to be able to love on two babies at once!  I knew I had a lot to figure out, but being a mommy to newborns was something I knew how to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment